Roasted Sweet Potato deserves to be served with your Xmas Day dinner, it is absolutely delicious when roasted, it is roasted the same way as our usual red potatoes, but has such a different texture and flavour. I will definitely be adding sweet potato to my Xmas Day dinner.
As the method is the same as the roast potatoes, that I have made previously in the potato section of the Festive Feast, you can roast them together with normal potatoes, as I have done here today. I also threw in some red onion today, for colour, if you wish to do this, then chop and peel a red onion and add to the potatoes, once they have been cooking for 10 minutes.
2 x sweet potato per person (peeled and chopped in half)
1/2 x cup of coconut oil
4 x tablespoons of vegan spread
2 x garlic cloves (crushed in their skin)
salt and pepper for seasoning
1. Firstly, before you do anything else, preheat the oven to 200 degrees, and make sure the pan you will be roasting your potatoes in, is in the oven.
2. Place the sweet potatoes in a pan, using the kettle, cover the potatoes with boiling water, bring to a boil.
3. While they are boiling for a maximum of 3 minutes, place the spread and oil in the pan, that has been getting hot in the oven and return to the oven.
4. Drain the potatoes well and place in the pan that has been warming in the oven, ensure that the oil does not burn you, be careful not to drop them in from too great a height.
5. Season the potatoes and shake the pan, so that they oil and spread can coat the potatoes.
6. Cook for 20 minutes at 200 degrees, before shaking the potatoes once more and then drop the temperate down to 180 for another 20 minutes.
7. Check to ensure they are soft in the middle and crunchy on the outside.
They are so delicious, I personally prefer them to normal roast potatoes and that is saying something.