Garlic infused wild and brown rice is so simple, it takes a little longer to boil that regular rice, but the health benefits are pretty cool, wild rice has so many vitamins and minerals, it’s just a great little extra to the plate.
I tend to use a smallish pan for this, as it helps to keep the flavour nice and apparent. This recipes will easily serve 4, if you are hoping to cook for more than 4, I generally use the rule of thumb, that 1/2 cup of rice is plenty for one person .
2 cups x brown and wild rice (washed and well drained)
4 cups x water
2 x vegan stock cubes
1 x white onion (finely chopped)
2 x garlic cloves (peeled and finely chopped)
1 tablespoon x coconut oil
Salt and Pepper for seasoning
- Place the oil in a large saucepan, along with the onion and garlic, allow to cook on a medium heat until soft.
- After 5 minutes, add a cup of water and the stock cubes, stir well and allow to simmer for a further 5 minutes.
- Add the rest of the water and bring back to the boil, before adding the rice.
- Cook rice for approximately 35-40 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes, the water should be almost completely evaporated, though never let it cook dry.
- Once rice is soft, drain well and return to pan and stir well.
- For best results,serve immediately.